Saturday, 23 October 2010

WORDPRESS - MOVING BACK TO BLOGGER!

It's nearly driven me to drink!
It's with an aching head and a lot of soul-searching that I've decided to admit defeat and move my blog back to Blogger.

WHY?
  • WordPress.com doesn't support a lot of widgets, in particular the Followers widget (can you believe it?) so I have no idea whether anyone is actually following the blog, never mind who they are! So I felt very isolated.
  • WordPress is very picky over code. An awful lot of the widgets and customisations I love (scrolling marquees, Amazon lists, Ebay marquees, my Etsy scrolling link) won't work - WP doesn't allow java code etc.
  • Videos (YouTube, Vimeo et al) are really difficult to install. More often than not, the link didn't work, so I had to give up on them.
  • Customisation: unless I PURCHASE my blog, I can't alter the colour or size of the text. Although WP does allow some customisation, you have to be an expert able to write CSS style sheets to be able to achieve this - and again, I don't think it works unless you buy your blog. I'm self-taught, not an expert, and it really is too complicated for me!
  • Full customisation - yes, if you buy one particular template (around £150) and also only if you host your blog yourself, ie: site it on a hosting service, paying an annual fee. Then WP will allow you to put in widgets etc, as we know them... to a point... You'd need to read all the whys and wherefores on WordPress.org (not WordPress.com - they are two separate entities!)
  •  Images: yes, they do have a limit. Then you have to pay. Ditto for videos etc. Plus they are difficult to install! Worse than Blogger - you have to set whether you want the pic linked (meaning someone can hot-link your image - so, how secure is that???) plus size, plus position, name etc. And sometimes it opens in another window, sometimes it doesn't (this is sounding awfully familiar...) and sometimes it wants to default into a gallery. Plus it's difficult to get in to edit - I found it easier to delete and start over.
So I'm very disappointed to have to admit defeat. 

I can write a bit of code, I can design and install Blogger backgrounds and coding for numbered comments, signatures et al - but I have to say I've had enough. I've given it a good two week's trial, and it's beyond me!

I've sorted my security issues with Picasa by setting my albums (which I didn't know I had) to Private, and will be using LiveWriter more often (see the Links list below this post to read more).

So I've reimported the posts from Techniques (sent to WP) onto 1stFloorFlat and will be deleting the WP very shortly... after yet another redirect message. I'm so sorry for messing everyone about.

MOVING FROM WORDPRESS TO BLOGGER

Guess what? WP will happily import from Blogger - but isn't so happy about you leaving them. However, I found this really helpful app which does it for you!

Download your WP code to your desktop, then browse for it using the button on the app exactly as shown. Once you've got the code in the window, click Convert and download that to your desktop. Go to Blogger > Settings and click Import Blog, browse for the converted code, hit Enter, and that's it! Simples! 

Here is the link: Wordpress2Blogger.

10 comments:

  1. Anne Huskey-Lockard23 October 2010 at 21:45

    I still think you are the WITTIEST WOMAN out there, and I have learned a lot from you, and to heck with Word Press!!!
    So welcome back to Blogger-The-Flogger,with the rest of us, just holding our collective breath on what will happen next.
    Frankly, I could not live without all my *junk*....I submit to the whims of Blogger. ;-D
    Oh, sent you an e-mail but for the life of me I am not sure it went to the right addy......

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne.....(thumbing nose and sticking out tongue at W.P.!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I am in the process of redoing my blog and my business adviser was pushing me towards wordpress. I really didn't want to leave typepad because they have been awesome for the past 3 years. Finally I put my foot down and said NO...and now you have confirmed all that I feared would be issues. I like to blog and DO NOT want to spend all my time being a techy person to run my blog. Hope you get settled real soon. Fondly, Roberta
    http://con-tain-it.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can't cope it with... enough said... no chance for anyone else!
    Welcome back
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WEll, basically I could cry after all that hard work. I feel such a wimp for giving up, but enough is enough is enough... life's too short, and sitting at this computer until 2am several nights in a row really put the tin lid on it.

    I bow my head, admit defeat, eat crow, metaphorically fall on my sword - all at the same time! (Can we women multi-task, or what?) Needless to say, I'll keep everyone posted on the latest developements...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda in New Mexico24 October 2010 at 01:04

    You are priceless. It isn't defeat my darling girl....if you try on a dress and it doesn't fit, just try on another and if that one doesn't fit then it's the fault of the salesgirl, don't ya know....tee hee, couldn't possibly be your fault.
    You tried, learned and now you move on, up, back, whichever way is best for you...and we'll just tag along loving you all the more.
    Just promise that you'll cut yourself a break and smile. Lots of XXOO, The Olde Bagg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I'd call it defeat....after all, it takes a wise woman to give it what you gave and then realize the tool is just not robust enough not only what you need but what you want!

    Sometimes the only way to know is to go and find out. You went. You found out. You came back. And if anyone can beat Blogger at their own game, it is most certainly you, my dear!!! (Welcome back!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a disappointment after all the work you put into trying to move over to wordpress. Well, welcome back to blogger!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AlpHa Buttonpusher24 October 2010 at 06:36

    Welcome back:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie!! So happy you brought your beautiful self (and your outstanding blogs) back to Blogger!
    Don't beat yourself up too much, you tried - and taught us all so much in the process.
    Kudos to you for having the nerve, willpower and expertise to check it the other side and return unscathed.
    You are very, very loved
    xxx
    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  10. StaziO essentials30 October 2010 at 00:27

    I'm glad your here, you deserve the best of all that's available without the hassles ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments, and I read each & every single one! Thank you so much.
 
Spammers please note - all comments are moderated, so your spam will not get through!