Wednesday, 16 March 2011

TIM HOLTZ STYLE - MY DISTRESSED CANVAS CLASS

My finished piece
Now I've got my wonderful new camera (with face recognition, camera shake correction etc etc) I'm a lot braver about taking photographs - and thought you'd like to see the results of the Tim Holtz Style class I taught at Rainbow Silks last Saturday (12 March).

This was as far as I got in class - I wasn't that happy: I felt it needed... something....  I regretted placing the cartouche over the original stamped image (Claudine Hellmuth's 2-piece set of foam stamps & outline stamps). The whole piece felt kind of straggly...
The finished piece - I removed the clock face & cartouche (bottom right) which I'd stuck over my original red torso stamp, and cut the image from the cartouch and re-attached them over a horizontal strip of lace.
Distress crackle in Rock Candy over the clock face and cog wheel. The snap fasteners were as I bought them, apart from a little light distressing with an ink pad to kill the orange slightly.
I used ruler tape just under the torn paper edging the top, then added a Tim Holtz ticket stamped with my own Beret Girl stamp design (from Blade Rubber Stamps if anyone is interested) and lightly tinted cheeks, eyes & lips with Distress inks.
I over-wrote the stamped lettering (Dawn Houser Shoe Fits stamp) with Lumiere ink and a very fine nozzle.
I thought you might like to see the 'before' and 'after' - it's not often I think to actually photograph any changes!

THE RAINBOW SILKS CANVASES


I had the pleasure of teaching a great bunch, who all did some wonderful work. Two ladies had to rush off so I didn't get photos of their canvases - so 7 out of 9 ain't bad - and if they read this, maybe they'd send me scans?

I lost my crib list of who was sitting where, so re the wonderful work you see here - please contact me so that I can credit you!

10 comments:

  1. oh hun what a great post,think you were right in moving the clock seems,to fit in much better with the rest of the design ,just love how you have incorpated,the houses,and faces,then lots of other intersting things,as it really comes together to make one stunning canvas hun,those ladies,all did an amazing job too,hun they are all brilliant but then,they are learning from a great teacher,oh wish i could have a class with you would love it,take care hun,hugs cheryl xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your finished product is amazing. Wow! You are so gifted. I'll bet your classes are incredible. If you are ever in TN giving classes, be sure to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie Jefferson16 March 2011 at 23:23

    CHERYL - bless you, cherub! You always say such nice things.

    MINA - thank you so much! Being based in the UK, it would have to be either when I win the lottery, or when someone is willing to shell out for a teaching gig that includes hotel and airfare, lol. (You never know... one day...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, your TH style artwork is so inspiring - thank you for talking us through the changes you made, and why you made them. It helps someone like me to know that experienced people like you change your mind too!

    Your enthusiasm has clearly rubbed off on the ladies taking part in your class - what they have produced is gorgeous!

    You planning on doing any classes in the Tunbridge Wells, Kent/Oxted, Surrey area anytime soon?!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual your creations are fabulous! I can't wait to make one soon! Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Susie these are so different, can see you enjoyed teaching these and very nice they turned out too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh Susie, you've been so busy, and it all seems quite fabulous. Tim Holtz - Wow! I love your configuration boxes, they're really clever and very cool. I feel quite inspired. Re cameras : my brand new and very expensive little point and click camera has been to the beach and I got sand in the lens! Now it's jammed half open and I'm going to have to try to explain how I managed to be so careless. Arghhh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susie, I am your newest follower...thank you for dropping by and seeing my Kewpie shadowbox...after seeing your things I was really wowed!!! I'd like to see more, so I'll be dropping in frequently..hope you will come back and visit me!
    Angela
    http://amcinnisartworks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a FUN class!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments, and I read each & every single one! Thank you so much.
 
Spammers please note - all comments are moderated, so your spam will not get through!