Friday, 19 July 2013

MONOPRINTING - Make your OWN jelly plates

Just came across this YouTube video by Colouricious, and had to share immediately!


I have bought the 8in x 10in Gelli plate (£28, not including postage - ouch, ouch, ouch - why IS it so expensive in the UK????) and would like bigger ones - and smaller ones - so for the Very Cheap price of a few sachets of gelatine and some foil trays, I'm going to give this a go!

I've left a message asking how long these home-made plates will last for (I would image a couple of weeks, but don't quote me) and I'll update this post once I have the information.
ADDENDUM: See Comment 1, below.
Coloricious replied immediately, and they say:
"After a day's use, they do break up a bit, but we enjoy printing those cracks too! Keep in the fridge and your plate will last a day or two. I agree it is a lot cheaper than the commercial ones. However, I do actually prefer having the convenience of being able to get a commercial one out, instantly ready - also the surface remains intact. Pros and cons for both versions."

Sorry, can't add the copyright info as I've no idea where this photo came from! If it's yours, please let me know so that I can credit you.

For those of you who aren't into fabric, and therefore won't be using fabric paints and dyes, just go ahead and use your favourite acrylics.

Below are a couple of YouTube videos by Andy Skinner, who I've just discovered (how did I miss him?) which are wonderful examples of mono printing, and are using the Gelli Plate.




Are you feeling inspired?

I know I am! Watch this space....

3 comments:

  1. so glad you are enjoying our gelatine plates making video! After a day's use, they do break up a bit, but we enjoy printing those cracks too! Keep in the fridge and your plate will last a day or two. I agree it is a lot cheaper than the commercial ones. However, I do actually prefer having the convenience of being able to get a commercial one out, instantly ready - also the surface remains intact. Pros and cons for both versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for such a speedy reply! Great to have that information (I did have visions of a fridge stocked with nothing BUT jelly plates) and it sounds so sensible too - a whole printing session, then chuck all the mess into the bin!

      Delete
  2. Hi Susie, check out my friend's Shaz's blog on ( May 29th)re the gelli plates too as her recipe is different and can be reused by melting it in the microwave. She also gave an excellent recipe for making your own texture paste....
    http://calligraphycards-shazinoz.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2013-07-03T15:00:00%2B10:00&max-results=10
    It all might be of use to you,
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments, and I read each & every single one! Thank you so much.
 
Spammers please note - all comments are moderated, so your spam will not get through!