Friday, 16 May 2014

VOICES - Gelli Plate mono print


VOICES - this is a monoprint I've just finished, using the Gelli Plate and IndigoBlu stamps. The silhouette shape is a stencil I made, cutting round a figure from a magazine which I've then laminated. Came out pretty well, I think.


I used a page from an old text book for the print. The base layer was a mix of Antique White and a pale turquoise - both craft acrylics (the cheap ones, ready mixed in a bottle). I placed the stencil on top and left it in place while I brayered deep pink and deep turquoise onto the plate, then removed the stencil. This was the second layer.


Next, I stamped the IndigoBlu Honeycomb Background stamp using Ranger's Archival Black ink, and topped this with IndigoBlu Mechanics background stamp. I held the stamp in my hand (not on a block) to get partial images - again, with Archival Black ink.

Finally, I stamped the phrase in Archival black, the chemical formula in Archival Red and the lightbulb in Archival Sepia - all from IndigoBlu's Beautiful Mind stamp set. The black circle shapes in the corners are giant snap fastensers.

I started off creating this as a journal page - now I'm thinking it could go in a frame? I'm really pleased with this one.



6 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, Susie! I adore that quote--It's going right into my journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda! So glad you like it. Great quote isn't it - I think Kaye at IndigoBlu thought it up herself. I'll be journalling it as well, lol. Hugs etc

      Delete
  2. Love it Suzie, must admit I am a bit scared of these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dot! I was a bit nervous at first, but it's easier than you'd think - I just watched a lot of YouTube videos to see which paint, how to clean up etc. It's messy, but a LOT of fun. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the class yesterday, it was really fun & useful. I did some more carving when I came home and can already tell I'm getting faster (and not so scared of going more detailed!).

    As I know you're both a stamper/card maker and a gelli plate user, I thought you might like this video I just came across on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pHt03H_Y4s&list=WL&index=8 it's basically someone using stamping pads on their gelli plate to get really bright colours. Looks great, maybe something to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Iris. I really enjoyed it too, and you all did such great work. I've taken a look at the link you said - very interesting! Like you, I totally love colour and will definitely give this a try. Always looking for new techniques, and it's nice to see one not involving acrylics re the Gelli Plate. Thanks so much for the comment, and I'm totally delighted you're already getting faster and ore confident re the stamp carving. Hugs etc.

      Delete

I love to receive comments, and I read each & every single one! Thank you so much.
 
Spammers please note - all comments are moderated, so your spam will not get through!